Raspberry Upside Down CakePosted: October 18, 2014
I love raspberries! I was so fortunately that Operation Fruit Rescue invited volunteers to pick at a raspberry Upick one evening. My mother-in-law and I picked buckets full of berries, all ready to fill our freezers for the long winter ahead.
Raspberry Upside Down Cake
You will need:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups thawed or fresh raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups whole grain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place 1/4 cup butter in your baking pan. Warm in a 350 degrees oven about 5 minutes or until butter is melted. (Be sure to watch carefully to avoid browning the butter). Remove pan from oven. Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is completely moistened. Spread sugar mixture evenly in pan. Add raspberries and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar until well combined. Add egg and vanilla, beating until combined. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to beaten butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly over the peaches in the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan; invert onto a large serving plate (if possible. If not, serve individual pieces upside down). Serve warm with whip cream or ice cream.